Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Arrival in Italy!!!

Ciao Ciao family-
I know that I said that I would not be sending an email, but it just so turns out that those the sisters I am with have their P-day today and so I was able to come with them. I forgot how much I love it here, and I think it is even more special now that I actually can kind of understand what people are saying! It was really funny because when we got on the plane in Georgia to come here and they started speaking in Italian Anziano Bullock just looked over with the biggest eyes and was like, WHAT language are they speaking?! It was funny and we all laughed, but it is going to take some work and some time to really feel comfortable. The plane ride was good, but I was in the middle of my two companions so we didnt really get the chance to talk to anyone. Then we arrived in the airport in Rome and it was madness, but geneous and so good, and we just laughed at how well the Lord knows us and has a sense of humor. We had been told that we would have to pick up new plane tickets in Rome, but we had no idea what that meant, so we decided to just follow the crowd through security and see what kind of adventures that would bring. We soon noticed that we were supposed to have tickets, but they did not even check me or Sorella White, but of course Anziano Bullock they did, and then said oh, your going to Catania, you can just go get you ticket in there. So off we went with no idea what we were doing and found ourselves standing in front of the screens clueless, when a young man walked up to Anziano and was like, Ciao Brother, so excitedly and went off in Italian. It wasnt before long when his wife said in Italian, "Dear, I dont think they speak Italian." I then talked with them my broken Italian and explained how this was our first day in Italy and our situation. It was so fun, made us feel so at home and at ease, and it was so obvious that they came because we needed them. We were then greated by some of their friends who were like, oh ju are americani. They helped us feel more confident with what we were to do, and we said good bye. Seriously though, I am so excited to get to know these people, they are just amazing!!!! and so wonderful. We finally found where we needed to be and then they changed the gate two times and everyone was confused and it was a beautiful Italy moment. Finally we arrived in Catania at 2, only 26 hours after we left the MTC. We even were greated with ALL of our luggage which I guess is unusual.
President Toronto is great, very much a genious and very kind, and his wife made sure we were well fed with lasagne and a 4 course meal.
After lunch with the all of the folks of the mission home we left to work on our visa work. We went downtown with Anziano Ludo, an Italian senior service missionary. Because the person was late for our appointment, we got to chat with those people in the lobby one of which who was an old man who just started rambling off with facial expressions, hands and everything, and we just nodded and laughed, but we had no clue what he was saying. Fortunately there was another older, but not so old man who told us in Italian that this other man was speaking in Sicilian. It was quite the conversation! We were talking with a man who spoke sicilian, that was being translated in to Italian, that was trying to be understood by three missionaries who understood one days worth of true Italian. It really was fun though, the animation of the people when they talk here is so priceless, and I feel so blessed to get to be here.
Right now I am with three sisters in Catania and my companion will not be here until tomorrow night. I have heared wonderful things about her, but in the meantime these three sisters here are taking great care of me. It turns out that one of them is from Moderno, which is where Anziano Volpe, the Italian Elder from the MTC is from and they know eachother.
Anyways I just wanted to let you know that all is well, and I did arrive here safely. Jet lag does not seem to be a problem, and I had the best nights sleep I have had in two months! It was so fun to talk with everyone on the phone too. So fun, that we were just minutes away from not catching our plane, and we went on the plane foodless, but it was well worth it. I even had a bunch of letters that are written addressed and have beautiful American stamps that I will not get to send for a while, but all is well.
Emma, I love you and am sorry I did not get to talk to you on the phone, but I did love your letter you sent me. I am glad we have decided on our lives occupation of clip making I think its a great plan! Chris, I heard you couldnt stand New York and Washington DC and its awesomeness, that you thought that it was boring and plain and you missed your mom, what is your problem? Haha, well atleast thats the story Ive made up until you tell me otherwise ,) And Sam dont think that I have forgotten you, I miss your huggs bud, please give mom one for me.
Everyone else thanks for your love, it was so fun to get to hear your voices. I hope that you get to eat some especially good food this week so that I dont have to feel bad when every bite of food I take is blasted with flavor and goodness. I love you, I love Italian people and culture, I love the humbling experience of learning and language, and I love the message that I get to share with these people of our Heavenly Father who loves us. All these things combined make me so excited, hopefully next week I will have some more stories to share about the people here. I think we are actually going on splits tonight to some teaching appointments, which I am looking forward to. Ci vediamo!
Sorella Whitney Robb
P.s. sorry this was so lungo, dont feel obligated to read this all i just got really exited

No comments:

Post a Comment