Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Como andiamo!

Wow, can you believe we are looking already at mid august?! I did not really believe it until we found ourselves on the streets of Bari and there was absolutely no one outside, and we are talking about there not even being crickets. Everyone told me about feragosto, that everyone takes vacation, but I did not realize that the whole entire city really just shuts down, the stores do not open.
Sorella Wendorf has been a huge blessing and I am learning so much from her. She walks around like she is familiar with the streets even though she has absolutely no idea, and then we end up finding people who are anxious to learn from us! The language has been so fun. Of course there are a few words we don't recognize, but the people are so very patient. Yesterday in fact we had an amazing lesson with Antonio, a man we have been working with for a good couple months, and it was so exciting to watch as things started to make sense to him. Even if the language was not perfectly there, the spirit was, and he mentioned it and said is willing to work so that he can feel that good all the time. Experiences like that just send you away with a hage smile.
Other exciting news is that I know how to make eggplant Parmagian! Not only do I have the recipe, but our mission president has been encouraging us to really apply ourselves to learn the culture and learn how to make the food, so Sorella Wendorf and I attempted and totally succeeded, so hopefully I will be able to share some of the goodness of Italy with you all in future years.
Sunday was also so fun because we were able to teach leo, a boy from the ward one of the lessons to prepare for his baptism, and we had a good time, but he also was excited to start reading. Afterwards, his mom was so thrilled that she could offer us Hidden Valley Ranch dressing that someone else had sent her, becuase that just do not exist here.
In short. I'm grateful to be here. It's fun to share a smile, it is priceless to feel the spirit, and there is plenty of time for walking in between! Christopher, I can not believe you are going to highschool, that is crazy!!! That also means you are getting old enough that you can send your favorite sister in Italy a little update from time to time. Heidi, thanks for the email, I would love to write you back, but need an address. Sam you are getting so big, and mom tells me you are a toe head, is that true? I love you all. Welcome back to school and work! Take care!

Con Amore,
Sorella Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment