Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's raining, it stopped, it won't make up its mind!

I love reading emails from you all, thank you! This morning I was talking with Sorella Stevenson, and we were talking about how getting to hear from our family is just as exciting if not more exciting than anything else we get to do on pdays, except for maybe finding new investigaters. Joe I am glad you liked the tie, and emma the card. Mom I still have not figured out how you managed to become the amazing missionary you are without the training that it has taken for me to finally understand. We have a mother in the ward here who is like you, and we rant and rave about her all the time. The members make all the difference in the work, that is where the long lasting miracles happen. Dad, I hope you are finding some good things to listen to with all of your traveling and also I still need omi and papas address if it is possible. Thanks.
Speaking of Miracles, maybe I could mention a little about the work that is happening here in Sicily. Tuesday I learned a very important lesson. We went to pass by a ladies home named Lucy, where the sisters before had left her a Book of Mormon and she said she would read it. However, when we got there she was telling us how she has been busy, and how in the end it is just another book, it might be a good book like those by C.S. Lewis, but basically she was telling us that we were wasting our time. It was one of the first times so far in the mission where I really just felt kind of icky. We talked about some verses in the bible like John 10:16 and a few others where it make references to the apostacy and the Book of Mormon, but as we know you can not convince anyone, and we all interpret things in our own way. Not knowing what else to do I decided to just bear my testimony. I told her how I was raised in a family with these beliefs, that I am grateful for the time I was able to spend with my family, praying, spending time togetherm and reading from the scriptures, both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and that I know that all of these things have brought me closer to Christ. It was crazy, but the whole feeling in the room changes, and instead of being defensive she started to tear up and said "I know that what you are saying is true, because you can see it in your face, and I can feel it, and I know you are being sincere." It was really neat, I hardly understood what happend and was even more shocked when she asked if we can come back again and if she can invite a friend. I have absolutely no idea what will happen, or if she will read, but I was also reminded of what I know, and how important our testimonies are. It is normal for people to tell us what they think, and to have different opinions, but it is so amazing that we have testimonies that we own, things that we know, and that when we share them and use them the spirit is there to back us up and we grow as well. If you are wondering what you can do to help someone this week, maybe you can share with them the precious knowlege that you have, it's fun I promise, and will bring you a smile as well.
Speaking of smiles, we had Elder Kerr of the 70s with us this week for zone conference, and it was so neat to watch him and learn from him, his smile ate up his whole face. This transfer we have a huge group of missionaries giong home and they all shared their testimonies, and he just smiled. He talked to us alot about the importance of sharing experiences, especially in our journal writing, and then he spoke about the Book of Mormon and how we can put it to better use. Id have to say that one of the funnest and most edifying parts of the conference was getting to hear about the experiences of others.
Well I am sitting next to the door that is wide open and it is freezing outside so I think I am going to get working on my presidents letter. The weather in general this week as been crazy. One second the sun is shining and people are out an smiling and then you blink and the sky is gray and it is pouring rain and cars are splashing you with water, and then by the time you pull out your umbrella is has stopped. Anyways I love you all, sorry I wrote this email a little backwards, but do me a favor and try and share your testimony at least once in sometime before the end of this month, you won't regret it!
Toodles,
Sorella Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment